Rain has fallen in fire-ravaged parts of Australia and temperatures have dropped – but officials have warned that blazes will “take off” again.
Sooty rain fell down the east coast, from Sydney to Melbourne, with “torrential” rain reported in some parts of New South Wales (NSW).
But on Sunday night officials warned temperatures would rise by Thursday. They also said huge fires in Victoria and New South Wales could meet to create a larger “mega blaze”, reports BBC.
“There is no room for complacency,” NSW state Premier Gladys Berejiklian warned on Monday.
“This morning it is all about recovery, making sure people who have been displaced have somewhere safe.”
Despite the respite, haze pollution remained dangerously high.
Victoria’s Bureau of Meteorology warned that visibility in Melbourne was less than 1km (0.62 miles) in many parts of the city and its surroundings.
The easing of conditions meant valuable supplies could be taken to affected areas.
The army said it had sent supplies, personnel, and vehicles to Kangaroo Island off near the city of Adelaide in South Australia. The island has been devastated by bushfires, with two people killed last week.
The army also sent out reconnaissance and assistance missions in NSW and Victoria.
Hundreds more properties destroyed at the weekend. Rural towns and major cities saw red skies, falling ash and smoke that clogged the air.
But by Monday there were no emergency warnings, following the weather change.
Victoria state had 25 “watch and act” alerts and South Australia one “watch and act” alert.
In NSW, all fires were back at the “advice” level, the lowest alert level.
However, Victoria Emergency Management Commissioner Andrew Crisp warned “it will warm up” and the fires “will take off again”.
On Monday morning, there were only around 10km between a blaze in Victoria’s Corryong and two burning at Kosciuszko National Park in NSW.
“This will be a changing, dynamic situation,” he said, warning it was “inevitable” the fires would join across the border.
Meanwhile, Prime Minister Scott Morrison said A$2bn ($1.4bn; $1.1bn) would be committed to recovery over the next two years.
At the weekend, a fundraiser launched by comedian Celeste Barber for fire services in NSW raised more than A$35m in just 48 hours.
A number of celebrities have also donated money to support firefighting efforts in recent days – among them US singer Pink, and Oscar-winner Nicole Kidman, who pledged $500,000 each.
And on Monday, pop star Kylie Minogue tweeted she had donated too.
Australia is fighting one of its worst bushfire seasons, fuelled by record temperatures and months of drought.
At least 24 people have died since the fires began in September.
At the weekend, Mr Morrison warned the crisis might go on for months.
Mr Morrison announced the creation of a recovery agency to help those who have lost homes and businesses in the fires.
He has faced fierce criticism for his response – including for taking a holiday to Hawaii during the crisis.