Iran said Friday that it had “indisputable” evidence that a US drone it shot down this week had violated its airspace.
Deputy foreign minister Abbas Araghchi told Swiss ambassador, Markus Leitner, whose country represents US interests in Iran, of the evidence on Thursday night, the foreign ministry said in a statement.
“Even some parts of the drone’s wreckage have been retrieved from Iran”s territorial waters,” Araghchi told the Swiss envoy.”
A US military surveillance drone has been shot down by Iranian forces while flying over the Strait of Hormuz.
Iran’s Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) said the aircraft had violated Iranian airspace, and that the incident sent a “clear message to America”.
But the US military insisted the drone had been over international waters at the time, and condemned what it called an “unprovoked attack” by the IRGC.
President Donald Trump tweeted: “Iran made a very big mistake!”