More than 800 people poisoned after eating toxic wild mushrooms in Iran

More than 800 people have been poisoned after eating toxic wild mushrooms in around 10 provinces in the west of Iran.

At least 11 people have died from the effects of the fungi and hundreds more have been hospitalized. There is no effective treatment for this kind of poisoning, Iran’s Tasnim News Agency reports.

At least two people have received liver transplants. The mushrooms concerned look similar to edible ones. People have been urged not to buy loose mushrooms and only purchase those packed and sealed in shops, reports BBC.

According to BBC Persian, mushrooms can sometimes be seen for sale in the street in Iran, and local folk wisdom about which ones are safe to eat can be unreliable.

The deadly fungi grow wild in mountainous regions of Iran’s west after spring showers, according to Tasnim.

Seven of the dead came from the Kermanshah area. Reports suggest that unprecedented rainfall over the past month has led to more mushrooms growing than usual.


This article has been posted by a News Hour Correspondent. For queries, please contact through [email protected]
No Comments

Translate this News

Join the Facebook Group

Click here to join the Facebook group of News Hour

Popular Posts

Sacred Games exposes Rajshri Deshpande nude [video]
Paperfly launches delivery services covering 64 districts in Bangladesh
Anurag Kashyap shoots Kubra Saith 7 times nude and made her cry for frontal nudity scene [Video]
Bolivian opposition senator Jeanine Áñez declared herself interim president
Three performers stabbed on stage in Saudi capital
Nissan Dream Classroom introduced at the Beijing Auto Museum


News of the Month

Scroll Up
%d bloggers like this: