Djokovic Says I will work hard to restore my confidence

Novak Djokovic said on Wednesday his confidence had been rocked by a string of poor results after a premature return from elbow surgery but the former world number one vowed to work hard to get back to winning ways.

Having exchanged a few shots with a young prospect after an intense training session in searing heat at his own tennis complex in central Belgrade, the 30-year old Serb conceded that the last 18 months have been testing.

“I have always believed in myself and that’s why I was able to make all my childhood dreams come true, but right now my confidence is not at the highest level,” he told reporters.

“That’s not surprising given the lack of results and all I can do is knuckle down to hard work to restore it. A few good matches and one good tournament and it will come back.”

Djokovic’s slump began after he won his maiden French Open title in June 2016 to complete a career slam and amass 12 major honors.

A string of below-par performances were followed by Djokovic having to retire against Czech Tomas Berdych in last year’s Wimbledon quarter-finals with an elbow injury which kept him sidelined until January’s Australian Open.

Avatar

This article has been posted by a News Hour Correspondent. For queries, please contact through [email protected]
No Comments

Translate this News

Join the Facebook Group

Click here to join the Facebook group of News Hour

Popular Posts

Advertisement

News of the Month

Scroll Up
%d bloggers like this: