Venezuela to withdraw from OAS as deadly protests continue

News Hour:

Venezuela says it will withdraw from Organization of American States (OAS), accusing the Washington-based grouping of meddling in its internal affairs.

The government made the announcement after the OAS voted to hold a meeting of foreign ministers to discuss the spiralling crisis in Venezuela.

Neighbours have expressed concern at mounting unrest in the country.

Violent protests against the government continued in the capital Caracas on Wednesday. One protester was killed.

He was hit by a tear gas canister during clashes with police.

Nearly 30 people have been killed since the wave of protests against President Nicolas Maduro began last month.

BBC Latin America correspondent Will Grant says the move comes as little surprise.

Tensions in the organisation – and among Venezuela’s neighbours – have grown over what is seen by several member states as the government’s disregard for democracy amid mounting unrest.

Ms Rodriguez accused the OAS of having double standards by concentrating on what was happening in her country while ignoring alleged democracy violations in Brazil.

President Maduro has often strongly denounced the grouping.

Avatar

This article has been posted by a News Hour Correspondent. For queries, please contact through [email protected]
No Comments

Translate this News

Popular Posts

Advertisement

News of the Month

April 2017
S M T W T F S
« Mar   May »
 1
2345678
9101112131415
16171819202122
23242526272829
30  
Scroll Up
%d bloggers like this: