Five people added to the tally of more than 4,200 migrants who died trying to cross the Mediterranean this year

News Hour:

Another five people have been added to the tally of more than 4,200 migrants who have died trying to cross the Mediterranean this year, Italy’s coastguard said on Tuesday.

The coastguard, which coordinates search and rescue operations in the waters between Libya and Italy’s southern coast, said a total of 550 people had been saved during five separate operations on Monday, reports BSS.

The rescues all involved efforts to get people off overcrowded rubber dinghies in waters off Libya. Five corpses were recovered, the coastguard said.

This year is already the deadliest on record for migrants trying to cross the Mediterranean with uncertainty about the situation in Libya fuelling a higher volume of departures in difficult weather conditions.

Avatar

This article has been posted by a News Hour Correspondent. For queries, please contact through [email protected]
No Comments

Translate this News

Join the Facebook Group

Click here to join the Facebook group of News Hour

Popular Posts

Advertisement

News of the Month

November 2016
S M T W T F S
« Oct   Dec »
 12345
6789101112
13141516171819
20212223242526
27282930  
Scroll Up
%d bloggers like this: